6K Energy has an immediate opening for an experienced materials scientist/engineer, chemist, or chemical engineer to establish a domestic salt production capability to supply 6K’s unique and proprietary microwave plasma-based cathode production process. The successful candidate will have a strong background in hydrometallurgy with preference given to candidates with transition metal salt synthesis relevant to lithium-ion cathode production, particularly when practiced in an industrial setting. The Principal Hydrometallurgist will report to the Senior Vice President of Battery Products and will play a critical role in developing the chemistry and methods to establish a cost-effective and environmentally responsible domestic salt production capability serving 6K Energy’s cathode production plants, from R&D to manufacturing scale-up. The Principal Metallurgist will work closely with other materials scientists/chemists/chemical engineers, process engineering, equipment engineering, supply chain, and advanced manufacturing to bring 6K Energy’s vertically integrated cathode production to market in support of both commercial and government projects.
· Master’s degree in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field
· 7+ years’ relevant industry experience in hydrometallurgy, from R&D to production
· Deep and broad knowledge of materials synthesis, chemistry, and failure mechanisms
· Strong problem-solving skills; analytical and data-driven; able to come up with creative solutions to unique challenges
· Ability to work closely and collaboratively across the R&D, process development, equipment engineering, supply chain, and advanced manufacturing teams to bring 6K’s technology to market
· Creativity and flexibility; must be able to respond effectively and positively to the changing needs of a rapidly growing and dynamic startup environment
· Strong organization skills with the ability to execute multiple parallel projects
· Familiarity with the new product development process, including phase-gate, product validation, FMEA, etc.
· Strong project management skills, with a track record of success; ability to deliver on time and on budget to meet program and corporate goals
· Deep understanding of the design of experiments and their appropriate application
· Strong written and oral communication skills; able to converse effectively across all levels of the organization and with external entities via presentations, technical reports, etc.
· Ph.D. in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field
· Experience with the production of Li-ion battery salt precursors, particularly Ni, Mn, and Co salts, and lithium iron phosphate precursors
· Related experience in plant design and/or operation
· Familiarity with automotive quality requirements and the product validation process
Equal Opportunity Employer
At 6K we believe that no one should be discriminated against because of their differences, such as age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, religion, or sexual orientation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. We are also committed to providing veteran employment opportunities.
Your application was submitted successfully.